As a destination wedding photographer in Portugal, I often get asked for advice on where to get married in Portugal?
Luckily, it’s quite an easy question to answer – because most of the wedding locations in Portugal are beautiful in their own right. Portugal is a very beautiful and diverse country that offers a wide range of options for couples looking to get married. From romantic beaches to charming villages and historic cities, there is something for everyone in Portugal. The tough bit is deciding, where the right area in Portugal is right for you!
Here are some of the best places to get married in Portugal, depending on your preferences – and don’t worry, I will travel to any of them in a heartbeat for your wedding day! 😉
- The Algarve: The Algarve is a popular destination for couples looking to get married on the beach. This southern region of Portugal is known for its picturesque beaches, clear waters, and mild climate, making it a perfect destination for a beach wedding. Popular towns in the Algarve for weddings include Lagos, Albufeira, and Portimão.
- Lisbon: Lisbon is a historic and vibrant city that offers a unique blend of old and new. The city is known for its charming neighborhoods, such as Alfama and Bairro Alto, and its beautiful views of the river. Lisbon is a great option for couples looking for a city wedding with a touch of traditional Portuguese charm.
- Sintra: Sintra is a small village located just outside of Lisbon, known for its fairytale-like palaces and castles. The village is a UNESCO World Heritage site and offers a unique and magical setting for a wedding. Popular venues in Sintra include the Pena Palace and the Castle of the Moors.
- The Douro Valley: The Douro Valley is a region in Northern Portugal known for its wine production and stunning scenery. The valley is a great option for couples looking for a more rustic and natural setting for their wedding. The region is also home to several charming villages, such as Pinhão and Sabrosa, that offer excellent venues for a wedding.
- The Azores: The Azores are a group of islands located in the Atlantic Ocean, known for their volcanic landscapes and natural beauty. The islands are a great option for couples looking for a more secluded and intimate wedding. Popular islands for weddings in the Azores include São Miguel and Pico.
- Porto: Porto is a city in the northwest of Portugal, known for its historic architecture, stunning views of the Douro River, and its famous port wine. The city is also home to several charming neighborhoods, such as Ribeira and Foz, that offer excellent venues for a wedding.
When deciding on a location for your wedding in Portugal, it’s important to consider the type of wedding you want, the number of guests you expect, the time of year and the budget. Also, it’s recommended to have a plan B for the weather and to ensure that the wedding venue has all the necessary facilities and permits.
It’s also important to note that Portugal has a strict set of laws and requirements for getting married, so if you want to get legally married here – it is important to get the advice of a team of Portugal wedding planners and experts.